Friday, June 5, 2009

It's Rude To Say Shut Up

Hence my blog title -It CAN Be Done Mom.

I just came home from years overseas and found our house and everything around it has pretty much deteriorated, including my mom's perspective in life.

Something has been bugging me for some time now, since I came home. Perhaps she's totally devastated I decided to come home when everyone's been going crazy to get out of the country? I think she's actually embarrassed that I chose to come home, and come home without a huge big fat ooozing luggage full of money. Nope, I came home with a changed perspective about living a simple but efficient life. A happy life.

Hogwash!

She'd rather have my Prada.

Anyway, there I was, happy to be home with my hug-phobic mother trying to find ways to make money and do my thing. In every instance she'd tell me, don't venture into things that are not in your line of expertise. No it can't be done. Oh, that's only for people with money. Oh it can't be repaired. No, you can't really fix that. You need money before you touch that gutter. This burger costs too much. The economy's too poor, you won't make it. No, we can't go there. You can't do that. Sure, but let me call somebody else instead.

Thanks for making me feel like a complete moron mom.

Do you remember that moment when somebody, specially that somebody you so believe in, tell you something can't be done, or worse, it's something you are not equipped to do? This blog is for you.

I remember a particular incident when I was younger, in my early teens, when my dad I were arguing (as usual) and I strated crying at the dinner table and he got angry. Of course, it was one of those, "no you can't ..." moment. I remember him telling me to shut up and quit crying (why is it that parents can be rude to you while you can't be rude to them too). That, and he told me that when somebody tells me it can't be done, I may not get what I want in the end but he sure wants me to stand my ground and argue my case. Yes, my father was a lawyer.

Another time, when again my dad was being a tyrant (as parents always seem to be when we can't get what we want), my mom told me, you know, when you are sure of who you want and what you want, you better follow it no matter what your parents say.

And that's why I am at a loss now with the things I hear from my mom. Yes, it can be done mom. You did it. You just chose to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment